Blessed are the hungry, for they shall be filled.

Recipes

Ninety-Nine Random Facts About Me

Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Hop on Pop

My son Nathan is in Kindergarten. It was a wise move on my part to enroll him in public education rather than homeschool him for several reasons:
  • He is a social beast and has one brother who is not talking yet.
  • He will do better in a very routine, predictable environment.
  • I would have picked up the bottle by now if I were his teacher.
Over the months I have been so amazed to see the work he has brought home. I get so happy seeing the letters and words he has printed, to hear him count to 50, and to tell me a poem he has memorized.

Of course, there are things that aren't so happy and fuzzy-warm. -Like hearing him tell me he couldn't find a friend to play with yesterday or to know he missed out on a birthday cupcake and ate his "Pamela's" chocolate chip cookie instead. He has only confessed to one "time-out" so far which means he is at the very least not telling "the whole truth".

Nathan has loved books since he was an infant. My whirlwind tornado of a boy has always wanted to sit and be read to. I am blessed! We have always made it a point to visit the library often and bring home a gaggle of books. I tried a couple of months ago to see if he would read for me, but he would jump ahead and just wasn't ready to look at the words and sound them out. Today though, I picked up a reader pamphlet he brought home from school. He was ready to sound out the words and read it to me.

Hop on Pop came out next. Yes, he still missed words and doesn't want to look at the ending consonant at times, but he was able to read the majority of lines. I feel sorry for anyone who didn't get thrilled to pieces when hearing their child read to them for the first time. I am in amazment. I assumed he would and could read, but it is still a wonderful, shocking (in a good way) event in my life.

I jumped up and down and he did too.
Life is good.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Debbie, I know what you mean about the reading for the first time thing! I was so excited when my kids turned that corner.

As to the public school thing, I really didn't want to put Libby in school, but she wanted to go so badly that I decided we'd better give the local school a try. It's a really good school, but of course I'm having Mommy pangs about homeschooling; she could be learning a foreign language and I know she'd get some higher reading levels with me. I always thought that I'd be homeschooling all the time through their school years, but now here we are and I feel like God wants me to do "something else." (It really helps that I LOVE her teacher.)

It's hard to give up the homeschooling, but I have to think about what's best for her, not just what I want, lol.

Have a great day!

:)
Suzette

Maureen "Hold The Gluten" said...

That is WONDERFUL about Nathan reading!!! You must be SO proud of him. Give yourself a big ol' pat on the back as well -- you are a great mom :) PS - One of my fav books is Dr. Seuss "Oh, The Places You'll Go!".

Chrissy said...

I love this post! As a mom of a Kindergartener... I know exactly what you mean! I remember the first few words Sam read and how thrilled I was that he could accomplish so much in such a short time! I did homeschool up until this past year when all 4 kids went to public school and I think it has been a wise move on our part - for them and for me! I am working in special ed at their school (mostly to keep an eye on things!!), which I really enjoy... but the highlight is still getting home and learning what they have learned that day!

Debbie said...

Chrissy,
Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment. I feel "lame" for not posting more lately. Right now I'm trying to get my Oregon license to teach. I previously taught in California (before kids). Right now I work in my son's school also as an insructional aide. It is AWESOME to work at your kids school for awhile, that's for sure!
Take care,
Debbie