Blessed are the hungry, for they shall be filled.

Recipes

Ninety-Nine Random Facts About Me

Saturday, August 16, 2008

Gluten Free Buttermilk Pancakes

Before my son was diagnosed Celiac, I was regularly making my own bread and pizza dough. I can still remember how they tasted.

Really wonderful.

I have to preface what I’m going to write with thoughts of thanksgiving. I’m thankful that there is a whole lot more out there that is gluten free than forbidden for us. Things that are truly spectacular – like a juicy, sweet strawberry or guacamole for tostadas are still being served up in this house. I’m thankful that there’s usually a substitute for what my son can’t have. We can still have pizza, provided I make the dough gluten free. We still have buttermilk pancakes (see recipe below) with bacon on Saturday mornings and chocolate chip cookies for dessert.

Other times though I’m frustrated. Why is it that I need to go through, on the average, three recipes before finding one I like when it comes to gluten free bread, desserts, etc.? Why is it that some things will never have a close substitute like flour tortillas?

Baking from scratch is never easy, although it usually tastes better. It takes time to follow a new recipe. Then there’s the dishes, the energy, and the anticipation. Unfortunately, there’s more often than not, disappointment in the gluten free world. I often find myself eating humble pie. Sometimes I hit a winner the first time, but often I have to say it’s not quite what I want. There’s lots of tweaking. Occasionally it is so bad I have to wonder about the taste buds of the person who submitted the recipe!

I don’t want to try three times harder than any other cook to serve up what tastes good and “normal” when it comes to baked goods. Yet, I have to persevere, because we want life to be as normal as possible. I also happen to have a son who is part Carbivore. When I do find something that is so good – really, really good then I get very, very happy. That’s when the camera comes out to take a picture. Sometimes I’ve even done a dance around the kitchen or muttered at the table over and over again, “This is so good, don’t you think?”

I hope this recipe is a winner for you! Let me know what you think…


Saturday Morning Buttermilk Pancakes

Whip two egg whites in your mixer bowl then set aside to fold in later

Mix:
2 eggs
2 cups buttermilk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

Add 1 teaspoon baking soda while mixing the above.

In a separate bowl mix:
1 ¼ cup rice flour
¼ cup + 1 tablespoon sorghum
1 cup tapioca or cornstarch
¼ heaping cup ground flax
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum

Add dry to wet ingredients.
While mixing, add 4 tablespoons oil.
Fold in your egg whites.


Cook on a hot griddle and don’t forget the bacon!!!

No comments: