Blessed are the hungry, for they shall be filled.

Recipes

Ninety-Nine Random Facts About Me

Tuesday, August 26, 2008

It's the End of August and I'm Wearing Happy Easter Socks - No Recipe, Just Some Humor


Before my son Nathan was born I was teaching fourth grade. Some days I wished I was still waitressing instead of stressing about deadlines or field trips. Some days I wished I was cleaning the toilets like Beverly the custodian instead of dealing with a particular student's parent who was my thorn for the year. For the most part though my job was fulfilling and I really liked working within the professional realm.

But like I said, that was before children.

Now I’m sitting at the park with a 5 year old and 6 month old. I’m an older than average mom (46 to be exact – gulp.) It doesn’t help that my hair desperately needs a haircut and I’m wearing “Happy Easter” socks in August. What has happened to me? Well, I don’t have money for the haircuts I used to get because no one is paying me for staying home with the kids. However, I don’t really think there is any excuse for the socks. Any day now I expect to see Stacey and Clinton from “What Not to Wear” come and embarrass me in front of America. Actually, it would be my secret thrill to see them. Go to New York for a week and spend $5,000 on a new wardrobe? I think I could let them humble me for that. I think it’s a fair trade. At least then I could get a new haircut. However, there’s that 360 degree mirror segment. The waddle of a neck I have would be screaming to use that 5K for a neck-lift. That would do more for my self-esteem than purchasing clothing unfit to be worn while feeding the goats or changing poopie diapers.

Since I don’t think I’ll receive a windfall soon or visit a TV set, I think I’ll just go home and just change my socks.

No comments: