Blessed are the hungry, for they shall be filled.

Recipes

Ninety-Nine Random Facts About Me

Monday, September 1, 2008

Hearty Buckwheat Applesauce Bread - Another One for the Quickbread File


I've been out of xanthan gum for about a week and I won't be going to the store until tomorrow. That is far too long to be out of bread in this house. I decided to try making a quickbread. My favorite type of bread really! If it can serve as breakfast, lunch, and dinner bread, and not require expensive yeast and xanthan gum, then it's what I can use around here. Don't forget the fact that it can go from the mixing bowl into a hot oven without waiting. This one can also stand up to slicing while still warm. Need I say more?

My friend gave me a half bag of Kashi buckwheat. I really love it, and it has a different flavor than unroasted buckwheat. I basically took another quickbread recipe and filled the amounts with other ingredients. The next time I make it I would like to try replacing a 1/4 cup of the rice flour with sorghum and substituting plain milk for the buttermilk just to see how it turns out.

For now though, I'm REALLY happy with my creation, and we've already eaten a half loaf! By using applesauce I've cut down the fat as well. Looks like I'll be making some more soon!

Buckwheat Applesauce Bread
Mix together:
2/3 cup applesauce
4 eggs
3/4 cup buttermilk
Mix in a separate bowl and then add to wet ingredients:
3/4 cup tapioca starch/flour
3/4 cup buckwheat flour
3/4 cup white or brown rice flour
1/4 cup flax seed ground
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/4 teaspoon gelatin (for chewiness)
3/4 teaspoon salt
Finally add 2 tablespoons of millet seed for crunch!
Bake 350 degrees for 50 minutes.

Try to wait 10-15 minutes before slicing.

4 comments:

Clara said...

Yum, Yum, Yum, YUM! PERFECT texture, great flavor, wonderful! I even tried it with sorghum in place of buckwheat and it was great, too! :D

Gelatin in bread - who would've thunk it? Genius! :D

Debbie said...

Clara,
I so appreciate you taking the time to come back and leave a comment. Actually the gelatin idea is from Bette Hagman and her recipes. Anytime I want something on the chewy side I add a bit!
Debbie

The Gluten-Free 'Dish' said...

Debbie,

How wonderful to find your gf site
with a yeast free bread. I will need to try this! I'll try replacing the rice with sorghum because my son is allergic to rice.

Anonymous said...

These make great donuts! My husband and sons are gluten sensitive, so they never get to have donuts. I made these without the flax seed or millet; then fried and rolled in cinnamon sugar. Great treat!