Blessed are the hungry, for they shall be filled.

Recipes

Ninety-Nine Random Facts About Me

Saturday, November 8, 2008

Cinnamon, Raisin, Walnut Bread - Gluten Free

I used to buy a bread called Royal Raisin Walnut bread. I can't remember who made it, but it sure was good. I would eat the whole loaf in just a couple of days. It occurred to me recently that I could try and make something like that if I changed a few things around with my All-Purpose Quickbread. Well, tonight was the night for trying this.

There's good news and bad news.

The good news is that it turned out great. The bad news is that my husband isn't overly fond of raisins (it's his mother's fault) and my 5 year old generally likes any kind of fruit separate from other food. The exceptions to this would be strawberries on pancakes and a bit of apple pie. He's become a good eater, but he hasn't fully arrived yet. So, the really bad news is that I'm bound to eat this whole loaf myself. I shall have to pull out the sweat pants soon.

Make it soon and be ready to eat it warm. Like all of the quickbreads listed here, this one slices up well while still warm. Mmmmmm.

Cinnamon, Raisin, Walnut Bread (Gluten Free)
Mix together:

4 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup milk
2/3 cup applesauce (I used 1/3 cup applesauce and 1/3 cup apple butter. You can also use mayo, or sour cream)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Add in to the mixing bowl:
3/4 cup rice flour
1/4 cup almond meal or flax seed
1/2 cup sorghum
3/4 cup tapioca starch
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon xanthan or guar gum
1 1/4 teaspoon gelatin (optional)
1 1/2 teaspoon saigon cinnamon
Mix together well, then add:
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 - 3/4 cup walnuts chopped
Bake 350 degrees for 50 minutes.

No comments: