Blessed are the hungry, for they shall be filled.

Recipes

Ninety-Nine Random Facts About Me

Sunday, November 9, 2008

Two Great Recipes, One Lovely Quiche

I love recipes that I can depend on. Gluten free recipes can be fickle things, can't they? I've made Shauna's "Favorite Gluten-Free Pie Crust" several times now, and it's something I can count on. I also love Alton Brown's recipes of Good Eats. I've learned so much from watching his show. His recipes are posted on The Food Network site and it is there I found this recipe for quiche. Actually, he has named it Refrigerator Pie, because the idea is to take a standard egg/cream mix and pour it over any number of meat/vegetable/cheese combinations. However, this would certainly work for using all vegetables, no cheese, etc.


Here are some hints that I found helpful in making it:
  • I personally don't like rolling the pie crust out. I plop it into the pie dish, form it across the bottom, up the sides and then crimp the edges like normal. I don't even refrigerate it before doing this, although I do place it back in the fridge to chill while I'm preparing the filling.
  • The pie dough ingredients call for 1/4 cup water. You shouldn't ever need more than that. I like to get my hand in there and mix it up after it is basically combined. That's when it really forms together.
  • Freeze or semi-freeze a 1/2 cube of butter and then grate it into your dry mix. Much easier than cutting it in!
  • I didn't add the 2 tablespoons of vinegar but cut it in half. I just felt 2 would be too much.
  • I used a 9 inch deep dish pie plate. While the amount of ingredients I used was fine, I could have added another cup of ingredients with no problem.
  • I did let this quiche set. In fact, it sat at least 1/2 hour while trying to get the kids to bed. It certainly didn't hurt it.
  • I also let this bake about 5 minutes longer. There was no problem with runniness in the center.
  • I did use heavy cream. This recipe has many reviews and I'm sure you can find information about substitutions in those if needed.

As you can see from the pictures this was a lovely quiche and I'm very proud of it. It really was as easy as pie.

Here's what I needed:

Shauna's "My Favorite Pie Crust" Recipe - You'll want to omit the cinnamon!

Alton Brown's "Refrigerator Pie" Recipe. I used the cream/egg sauce ingredients and omitted the salt because I used soy sauce to flavor my quiche.

The fillings I used:

1 cup cooked, diced chicken

1 and 1/2 cups chopped fresh spinach

4 large mushrooms diced and 1/2 onion diced, sauteed in 2 Tablespoons olive oil.

3/4 cup parmesan cheese grated

1 Tablespoon gluten free soy sauce

I took my chilled pie crust out of the refrigerator, placed the combined filling ingredients in the bottom of it and poured the egg/cream mixture over the top. 350 degrees for 45 to 50 minutes. Let rest at least 15 minutes.

Enjoy!!

No comments: