Blessed are the hungry, for they shall be filled.

Recipes

Ninety-Nine Random Facts About Me

Saturday, December 13, 2008

Cookbook Review

I just have to share:

I recently checked out some cookbooks from the library. I'm finding that the ones by Carol Fenster, Ph.D. have been my favorite. Her flour mix has worked great for me, and I find that her recipes are tried and true. I journeyed on over to Amazon and found that she has a new one, titled,
1,000 Gluten-Free Recipes. I decided that it was about time to actually buy a gluten-free cookbook and this was the one.

Sorry, you can't really click on this image and see inside - it's just the image I attached:) This thing is huge! It reminds me of The Joy of Cooking. I not only found the recipe for french bread that my husband adores, but I also found a recipe for Sourdough French Bread. Is such a thing possible? I intend to try it out. I made her buttermilk bisquits this morning and they are the best I've made so far. Not only are her recipes great for bread and dessert items, but she also has great recipes for main dishes.

I've learned from her that most GF breads bake better when put into an un-preheated oven. Also, she claims that a combination of guar and xanthan gum works best. Are you familiar with a new product called Expandex? She includes the use of it in some of her recipes. It is a modified tapioca starch that supposedly gives better texture to baked goods. You only substitute about 2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup in recipes. I have some on order right now. She also explains that not all milk powders are created equal. Buy a higher quality milk powder (not Carnation instant) and you'll be adding more protein to your baked goods. "Better than Milk" makes a soy version for those of you who are dairy-free. I know that some don't want to mess with all this stuff, but I do if it means better tasting food!

Are you like me? Have you spent countless hours combing the internet for this and that only to be disappointed in what you've made? Don't get me wrong - I've found some great recipes from blogs I visit, but the liberty of having a cookbook that is trustworthy and within arms reach is invaluable to me.

So, do yourself a favor and buy this treasure! Or maybe you can ask Santa for one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a sneaking suspicion that I may be getting this for Christmas and I can't wait!

Debbie said...

Good for you, Kim. You're going to love it!