Blessed are the hungry, for they shall be filled.

Recipes

Ninety-Nine Random Facts About Me

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Moms of Boys - A Little Humor

I never remember how I come across some sites, but I found myself one day looking at Moms of Boys.

I really enjoyed this page from it with humorous poems and interesting quotes. I think my favorite two lines in the first poem are about having to wash the soap before using it and weeds in chubby fists. How true!



Quotes, Stories, Poems About Boys

Raising BoysAuthor:
Roberta I. Teague

I scrub the wall of fingerprints, Pick up the mounds of clothes.

I sweep the dirt that shoes track in- Wish I could use a hose!

Meals are served from dawn to dark, Dirty dishes crowd the sink.

Just when they’re washed and put away- Everyone wants a drink!

The washer pulls the dirty grime From pants worn thin and patched.

They look so very neat and clean- Yuck, look what the pockets hatched!

Broken bones and bloody knees, I should have been a nurse.

I take it all in shaky stride- Just grateful it’s not worse!

Screams and shouts and arguments Test the keeping of my cool.

They left the neighbor’s faucet on- See their new front yard pool!

A soothing bath is ecstasy, A reward at the end of my rope.

Raising boys isn’t really bad- But first I must wash the soap!

A rose can say I Love You, Orchids can enthrall;

But a weed bouquet in a chubby fist,

Oh my, that says it all!

Boys in my House
Author: Erin Jo Kilmer

There are boys in my house - and Spiderman shoesAnd 200 papers in various blues.

There's Bob (he's a builder) and Thomas the Train,There's a fireman coat to wear in the rain.

They have cars on their shirts and frogs on their hats

There's a glove and a ball and a red plastic bat.

There's dirt on a face and a smudge on a nose;

Grass stains on knees and sand between toes.

There's bathtime at night with bodies to scrub,

And when we're all done there is dirt in the tub!

There's bandaids and bruises and curious bumps,

There's smiles and laughter and sometimes there's grumps.

There's odors most icky; there's boogers so green

There's more yucky things than I'll ever get clean.

There's piles of laundry; there's stories at night;

There's bedtime and bathtime and dinnertime fights.

There's cars and there's trains and there's books about trucks

There's Scoop, Lofty, Dizzy, and Travis, and Muck.

Sometimes there are bugs, and sometimes there are frogs;

Sometimes they are lions, or dinos, or dogs.

There are cute little vests and darling neckties

Dragged right through the mud - oh what a surprise!

There's running and climbing and jumping and falling

And laughing and crying and hugging and brawling

And rolling and losing and finding and creeping

And whining and stealing and sometimes there's sleeping.

There's tantrums and time outs and extra loud noise -

There's love in my house shaped like two little boys.


“A little boy is the only thing God can use to make a man.”
–Unknown

My father used to play with my brother and me in the yard. Mother would come out and say, "You’re tearing up the grass." "We’re not raising grass," my dad would reply, "we’re raising boys."
–Harmon Killebrew

Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout, “Bang!”
— George F. Will, news commentator

Boys are beyond the range of anybody’s sure understanding, at least when they are between the ages of 18 months and 90 years.”
— James Thurber, writer

There is an enduring tenderness in the love of a mother to a son that transcends all other affections of the heart.
– Washington Irving , writer

“If Huck Finn or Tom Sawyer were alive today, we’d say they had ADD or a conduct disorder. They [boys] are who they are, and we need to love them for who they are. Let’s not try to rewire them.”
— Michael Gurian, author of The Wonder of Boys and other books in a 1998 interview with Newsweek magazine.

Newsweek, May 11, 1998, page 59
Excerpt featuring San Francisco Chronicle columnist Adair Lara on the difference between communicating with her 19-year-old daughter and 17-year-old son :
“My daughter stalked me. She followed me from room to room. She was yelling, but she was in touch. Boys don’t do that. They leave the room and you don’t know what they’re feeling.” Her son is now 6 foot 3. “He’s a man. There are barriers. You have to reach through that and remember to ruffle his hair.”

Sports Illustrated, May 9, 2005 issue.
Column by Steve Rushin on Page 13 titled “Mothers Know Best.” Quote: “Moms are as relentless as the tides. They don’t just drive us to practice, they drive us to greatness.” One does not have to have athletic boys to have this quote be true.

“Life, America’s Weekend Magazine” , May 6th, 2005 issue
Patricia Heaton, award-winning actress from Everybody Loves Raymond and mother of four boys - She listed some things she learned from her kids; here are two: “I’ve learned to look like I’m listening to long, confusing plotsof cartoons and comic books when I’m actually sound asleep or making grocery-shopping lists in my head . . . I’ve learned that I didn’t really know what love was until I had them.”

1 comment:

The Gluten-Free 'Dish' said...

These words went deep into my heart...“A little boy is the only thing God can use to make a man.”
–Unknown
I immediately felt the depth of the call of being a mother to boys.

Thanks for reminding me.