Blessed are the hungry, for they shall be filled.

Recipes

Ninety-Nine Random Facts About Me

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Job Hunting and GF Mixing

I finally have applied for my Oregon teaching license. Since I have one from California there were some new requirements to complete. I needed to take a multiple subject mastery test and complete so many hours of my instructional assistant position I've been working in at my son's school. Too bad I didn't request a newer application. I would have found out that they've moved those requirements to the next level up in order for out-of-state applicants to get in the teacher pool much quicker. Ugh!! I could have had my license several months ago:(

Anyway, my license is "pending" while they approve my documents of this and that I've sent them. This has allowed me to fill out applications for four different districts in my county to apply for a teaching position. But why oh why am I a day late and a dollar short when it comes to these things? I found out after my latest hand cramp and filling up my tank with expensive gasoline that there is an online service that all the districts subscribe to. Could have done it all at home!

I have to remember though that God is always on time regardless of my shortcomings. My first job teaching was acquired two weeks before the school year started. I found out later that the large district I also applied to somehow lost my application. That's why I never was called all summer. But...that left me free for the one I received - in the nicest school, the closest school, the highest paying district, the grade I wanted, the track I wanted, and a slew of acquaintances and dear friends I shall always count myself blessed to know. I remember after I saw my new classroom I came home and cried while sitting on the couch. God was so good to me, and I think He was chuckling a bit over the surprise he couldn't wait to show me. Anyhow, right now there is only one position for an elementary school position in the whole county, and it is first grade (not my thing). If I had to put food on the table I would go for it, but I'm not that desperate:) If anything comes up it will probably be in August.

I've been challenged recently while reading in the book of Joshua about setting up a memorial. It is a way of remembering what God has done. So, I have a picture of me teaching in the kitchen sink window. Since I spend so much time there I figured it was a good spot:) I will wash and "remember" that He is capable of making sure I'm in the right place at the right time.

On a different not, I love it when I discover something that makes me work "smarter" and not harder. (Usually it is by accident - ha ha!). Such was the case while making up some more GF mix. I like one of Carol Fenster's versions:

It is:
1 1/2 cups sorghum
1 1/2 cups corn starch
1 cup tapioca starch

(if you make her french bread I love to add the 1/2 cup of cornmeal which she has deleted on her latest version of this mix. I'm not sure why because it makes the french bread taste better.)

When I mixed this up last time I noticed that my Bob's Red Mill bag of sorghum is 4 1/2 cups. I thought about making up three times this amount. I also noticed that my EnerG Foods Tapioca Starch I buy (12 boxes in a carton) is 4 1/2 cups. Woohoo! The Argo Cornstarch I use is 56 Tablespoons which is roughly 3 cups. I wondered whether it would be a big deal to interchange the tapioca and corn starch. Well, I haven't been able to tell a difference in my recipes. This allows me to open all three boxes/packages and just pour them in a big bowl to whisk together. I've easily made up an amount three times of this mix. No measuring and less mess. Made me happy. Of course, you may not use these products or have a different mix, but just see if a couple of the items are the right amount for multiplying you mix. Then maybe you only have to measure out the third ingredient.

From now on I vow to stop a minute and think about what I've "always done" and just see if I can come up with a better way to do it. You never know - I just might start working "smarter" and that would make up for all the brain cells I seem to have lost since becoming a mom and being sleep-deprived.

Have a wonderful day!
Debbie

No comments: